Everyday Mom's Meals: A Spring Saturday at Home
_____

Sunday, April 29, 2018

A Spring Saturday at Home

Are Saturdays a day of relaxing in your house? Lucky you! At our house, they don't turn out that way very often. Saturdays are sometimes grocery day. Others we have plans with family. And most of the time, we have church in the evening, followed my dinner out. 

I'm not complaining. I love getting out and about on the weekends since I'm home a lot during the week. I feel blessed we have the option of a Saturday casual church service so Sunday mornings aren't rushed and hectic. But sometimes, once in a blue moon, we find ourselves with a Saturday with no plans, and that is a nice change of pace. 

This past weekend was one of those. We had taken a mini road trip on Friday, headed to Indianapolis and The Children's Museum (a post sharing our adventure will be coming soon) and didn't get home until after 9pm Friday night. (That's late for us!) We had a super fun day, soaking up family time. In preparation for this, I had gotten groceries on Thursday, and purposely made sure our Saturday was open on the calendar. I knew we would be tired from our big day, and I would need a day to catch up on all the chores I had left behind. 

So, Saturday rolled around, and yes, we were all a little tired, and very thankful we didn't have to be anywhere. I caught up on laundry, worked on a couple other projects around the house, and we grilled out. Hog dogs, potato salad, sliced veggies and I wanted one more thing. Fruit. More specifically, fruit salad. 

A friend had just told me about this amazing fruit salad she had made with a really easy dressing, that included lime...one of my boys' favorite flavors. I had plenty of fruit on hand (thanks to Aldi's great prices) and I decided to throw it together for our simple supper.

So fresh. So tasty. So easy! You can easily switch out whatever fruits you have on hand, or whatever is in season. I can't wait to make it again once we go strawberry picking, and maybe add in some blackberries or raspberries, another of my boys' favorites. 

We are all so busy days at home have become a welcomed treat. I hope we get more of them this summer, so I can make this over and over!

Honey Lime Fruit Salad
1 lb. strawberries, sliced
1 pint blueberries
1 cup green grapes, halved
1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained
1 banana, sliced
3 TBS honey
1 lime, juiced and zested

In a large bowl, combine all fruit. In a separate small bowl whisk together honey, lime juice and zest. Pour over fruit. Chill for 2 hours before serving. Stir before serving. *NOTE* To measure honey easily, spray measuring spoon with cooking spray or dip in warm water. Honey will slide right off!



Shared at Weekend Potluck

4 comments:

Joansy said...

We love going to the Children's Museum! Hope you had a great time, my granddaughter still loves the carousel! Before she started school, we had a membership for years and went several times each month. We also had an Indianapolis Zoo membership, and the grandkids always loved that too.

I will definitely try this fruit salad, it sounds delicious and very summery! We are enjoying the great weather here in Indy this week and are grilling out several times this week. Have a great week, and thanks for the recipe! It's nice to meet a fellow Hoosier!

Krista said...

Hi! It is such a GREAT place! When the 13 year old and the 1.5 year old can both have fun, it's a winner with this mommy!

I hope you love this as much as we did when you try it! Mr. E. has already asked me to make it again Mother's Day weekend when my parents come over for a cookout!

Linda C said...

I think I have something similar to this but it used limeade concentrate, honey and possibly a little salad oil. Your version would be far easier!!

Krista said...

Yes it would!!!